Dr. Mom, My Adventures as a Mommy-Scientist

Discussion of my journey from grad school to postdoc to tenure with two kids, a husband, (and a bit of breast cancer) in tow.

Thursday, September 06, 2007

New School Year Resolutions: First Report

Well my new year's resolution are underway:

So I resolve that this year I am going to become more involved...with everything.
  • I will try to attend at least one parent event at each child's school
I attended a pool party for my son's preschool. I met one new parent (a dad) and unfortunately he spent most of the time talking to my husband about technology, but it counts for something. I'm still waiting for the volunteer list to come out for my daughters school.
  • I will try to make at least one new friend
My husband has a coworker who adores period romances (think Jane Austen). I tried to schedule a first meeting to go see "Becoming Jane" together, but our schedules haven't worked out. I will have to work harder on this.
  • Go to lunch at least once per qtr with my old ones.
Well we didn't go to lunch, but I have had meetings with both members of my lunch group to discuss possible research collaborations in the last week. Given that 1/2 to a 1/4 of the time was spent talking about kids that's got to count for something.

And although it is not on my list I am 2/3 through the sweater that I have been knitting for 3 years and vowed to finish before winter. Note 1/2 of progress is within last two weeks so this is meaningful.

So here's hoping to a better year next year, with more friends, activities, and dare I say grant money.

1 Comments:

At 1:49 PM , Blogger EcoGeoFemme said...

Good start!

I like that your resolutions aren't about work.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter by Digits Who links to my website?