Dr. Mom, My Adventures as a Mommy-Scientist

Discussion of my journey from grad school to postdoc to tenure with two kids, a husband, (and a bit of breast cancer) in tow.

Friday, November 07, 2008

The Long and Winding Road

The more time I spend as a faculty member, the more I realize that education is a life-long journey, even when you are an "expert" in a field. While I may know a lot about what I work on, it is from the perspective of my -ism. When I talk to others in different -isms, they see the same problems differently, and they can teach me a lot about something I thought I knew about. I actually really like this aspect of academics. And this learning doesn't just come from other faculty. I have a student that I took from a program outside my -ism, and he is constantly challenging my notions and bringing in new ideas. I love the way that academy can reinvent itself in this way. Right now I am working on learning a lot about these new areas and trying to plug them into my current understanding to make a more complete picture. I am constantly being pushed in this way, but it is a good way. And this is why I love my job.

2 Comments:

At 5:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear PhD Mom,

I am really interested in what you have to say about motherhood, academia, and blogging.  I am conducting a survey study of academic mothers who blog and I would like to invite you to participate.  The survey is completely anonymous and takes about an hour to complete (and you can do it in more than one session).  A full description of the study can be found when you click on the link below.  Feel free to pass on the link to the survey to other blogging academic mothers you think might be interested.  I hope you will consider participating.  If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at annie.fox@uconn.edu. 

Thanks!
Annie Fox

http://www.psychsurveys.org/abfox/blogging

 
At 10:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a reminder post. If you have already responded, thank you for your time and input.



I am really interested in what you have to say about motherhood, academia, and blogging. I am conducting a survey study of academic mothers who blog and I would like to invite you to participate. The survey is completely anonymous and takes about an hour to complete (and you can do it in more than one session). A full description of the study can be found when you click on the link below. Feel free to pass on the link to the survey to other blogging academic mothers you think might be interested. I hope you will consider participating. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at annie.fox@uconn.edu. 



Thanks!

Annie Fox



http://www.psychsurveys.org/abfox/blogging

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter by Digits Who links to my website?