Dr. Mom, My Adventures as a Mommy-Scientist

Discussion of my journey from grad school to postdoc to tenure with two kids, a husband, (and a bit of breast cancer) in tow.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Power-less

So about 50% of my state is without power right now and I am going crazy. We lost power late Sunday night while I was on the phone with my collaborator trying to finalize a grant submission for a Mon deadline. It is still off and we are being told that it may be off until Sunday. All of this precipitated from the remains of hurricane Ike. We knew that it would be coming through, but we did not expect such high winds, nearly hurricane force (up to 80 mph), and pretty much everyone was taken unawares. I am a weather-fiend (love the Weather channel) and probably had about the best warning that anyone could have and was still shocked. Fortunately, my husband is from Florida and lived through hurricane Andrew, so our house is stocked with loads of bottled water, 3 mo of MREs (meals ready to eat), candles, batteries, flashlights (including handcrank), and radios at all times. I would encourage everyone to have supplies ready as these have been a great help.

The worst part of the whole thing isn't that I am without power, it is that I am without power. There is nothing that I can do to make the electricity come back on faster and I have no idea when it will return. My kids have been out of school (no power) for two days and it may go all week. My food is rotting in my refrigerator. I just got some dry ice for the freezer. I just feel so helpless.

We do have power at my university, so that is a blessing, and I have been able to take showers there (*and to get my proposal out on time*). But I am crazy busy and just don't need this. Well, if anyone knows how to string electric feel free to come on down.

4 Comments:

At 1:36 PM , Blogger ScienceGirl said...

We have power because our power lines are under ground. But my in-laws are told it may be weeks before they have power/sewage/etc, and my SIL won't even be allowed to go see if her place is still there for weeks (it is one of the hardest hit areas). They have been staying with us since last week, and I would say they feel pretty powerless about their situation, and getting pretty restless. I am afraid that the recovery will take longer than anyone expected...

 
At 10:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you get your power back soon!

 
At 1:07 PM , Blogger Julie R said...

I think we live in the same area, Dr. Mom. Our power went out Sunday too, but came back on Monday morning. Hope the electricity people get to your neighborhood soon.

 
At 1:54 AM , Anonymous large scale catering said...

wow...beautiful blog site i like it.This looks so delicious and satisfying,but i hope peoples are like it.Thanks .. ration MREs meals ready-to-eat , disaster food aid

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter by Digits Who links to my website?