Dr. Mom, My Adventures as a Mommy-Scientist

Discussion of my journey from grad school to postdoc to tenure with two kids, a husband, (and a bit of breast cancer) in tow.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Perspective

My life is always crazy and this is probably one of the most crazy, but at times like this it always helps to get some perspective. As I mentioned in my last post, my sister, Janus Prof just had a baby, so her life is definitely crazier than mine. In addition, a very sad thing happened last week that has really altered my view point about life in general. A friend of mine who was ~25 weeks pregnant went into premature labor. The baby died two days later. I went to the memorial yesterday. I just can't imagine how horrible it must be for them, and I can find no possible explanation for why this should occur.

In the scheme of things, it really doesn't matter if I get grant money or if my lab combusts in a beautiful panorama of flames. The most important thing is that my family is strong and that we are all happy and healthy. Things have been tough for me because I tried to do too much at the beginning of the term. I am backing off now and doing work @ work and home @ home and getting a little time for myself, and things are getting better. I am trying a different balance and maybe I won't get all the grants and papers that I wanted out, but the most important things (i.e., my family) will be taken care of.

1 Comments:

At 10:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a daddy-scientist with several grants rejected this year, I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter by Digits Who links to my website?