Dr. Mom, My Adventures as a Mommy-Scientist

Discussion of my journey from grad school to postdoc to tenure with two kids, a husband, (and a bit of breast cancer) in tow.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Okay, this job is really crazy

As you can probably tell from my last few posts and the space between them, I have been crazy busy. At first I thought that I over-committed, but now I am beginning to think that this is status quo for the job. I am going to need to learn to do less or get better at doing more. So here's what I'm facing over the upcoming month:

# Proposal due Oct 1- only a few pages, thank you, G-D
# Two conference talks in mid-October
# need to get out two papers from postdoc- one for special issue due Nov 1
# prepare three lectures for my share of team taught intro courses
# get lab ready including supervise equipment set-up, furniture install, ordering of supplies
# train new undergrad and grad researchers
# find out when my postdoc's visa is getting approved, train her when she gets here
# possibly two more proposals, one due early nov, one due early dec.

Plus, my husband just started his first semester of B-school and will probably much less available to help at home.

I am hanging in there. I am taking things one day at a time, focusing on getting the most important stuff first. I have a couple hundred unanswered email messages. But I still love this job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter by Digits Who links to my website?