Dr. Mom, My Adventures as a Mommy-Scientist

Discussion of my journey from grad school to postdoc to tenure with two kids, a husband, (and a bit of breast cancer) in tow.

Friday, September 08, 2006

Still here, sort of...

Wow! The last week was absolutely crazy. I mentioned that both my mother and mother-in-law were in town for labor day. That actually went fine, no major blow-ups, at least that I've heard of yet. It was a giant time sink though. My laundry pile was about a mile high when they left and I had to send my husband to the grocery store (which is never a good idea unless you really like Twinkies).

Then, just as I was recovering from the weekend, I cracked a filling necessitating emergency dental work. So in the middle of the most intensely stressful couple of weeks that I've had in a couple of years, I got to spend two consecutive mornings novicained in a dentist chair...and (wait for it) I had to give a presentation in the afternoon each day! I'm just hoping I didn't drool on myself or something.

One of the presentations was an off campus seminar. When I mapquested the address it said it was a four hour drive, but the reality was more like 5 (glad I left early). So I ended up driving for 10 hours yesterday. I got home around 11 PM completely wiped. But I had intelligently scheduled two meetings Friday morning starting as early as 8:30 AM. I was only ten minutes late for that one, not too bad.

On top of all of that, my lab furniture (see previous posts) consists of five pieces, only one of which arrived correctly, and I have been negotiating for the return and replacement of the incorrect pieces (hopefully at no or low cost). Like I needed that. So I guess you could say this week has been CRAZY!!!

I know that all of this sounds like a disaster, and in a way it was, but I want to say that I still LOVE my job. I am having the time of my life and I wouldn't trade it for anything.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter by Digits Who links to my website?