Dr. Mom, My Adventures as a Mommy-Scientist

Discussion of my journey from grad school to postdoc to tenure with two kids, a husband, (and a bit of breast cancer) in tow.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Chemo Report #2

So pretty much recovered from Chemo infusion #2 of 4, before switching to a different drug. Better than the last time, but still not my favorite thing to do. Basically down for 2-3 days, then able to work after that.

Apart from the chemo, my research is really kicking into gear. I got contacted by *another* company interested in licensing my technology, for a home pregnancy test no less. More exciting research results have been rolling in. Is it not a little bit troubling that my lab seems to run itself better when I am gone half the time?

Actually one possible contributing factor to this success may be the promotion and hiring of a postdoc to a research scientist position. I have dumped off a lot of the day to day administration to him and this seems to help my own productivity tremendously. Plus, my students have a contact point that is available pretty much constantly to resolve small lab issues. All in all things are good...

7 Comments:

At 10:02 PM , Blogger Elena said...

You have a lovely way of always finding the bright side! Best wishes for your health.

 
At 8:43 AM , Blogger Super Babe said...

Glad to see things are going well. Thinking of you and hoping you recover quickly!

 
At 10:36 AM , Anonymous engineering girl said...

I used to read your blog quite closely when I was looking for career advice...haven't been on the blogs for a while though. I randomly popped back in today and saw the news...really sorry to hear it, but am really inspired by how positive and productive you are being in spite of it! Best wishes to you for recovery and research, and your blog has been a great help and inspiration to me.

-young engineer trying to find her way in a haze of career options

 
At 8:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad the chemo is going well -- about now was when all of my hair fell out... except my eyelashes and eyebrows... It was probably the most traumatic thing, besides actually losing the breast... but, after a few days I got used to it and it was kinda nice to be bald.

 
At 2:32 PM , Anonymous maggie.danhakl@healthline.com said...

Hi,

Healthline just designed a virtual guide of the effects of chemotherapy on the body. You can see the infographic here: http://www.healthline.com/health/cancer/effects-on-body

This is valuable med-reviewed information that can help a person understand the side effects they are experiencing from their chemo treatment. I thought this would be of interest to your audience, and I’m writing to see if you would include this as a resource on your page: http://mommyscientist.blogspot.com/2011/04/chemo-report-2.html

If you do not believe this would be a good fit for a resource on your site, even sharing this on your social communities would be a great alternative to help get the word out.

Thanks so much for taking the time to review. Please let me know your thoughts and if I can answer any questions for you.

All the best,
Maggie Danhakl • Assistant Marketing Manager
p: 415-281-3124 f: 415-281-3199

Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp

About Us: corp.healthline.com

 
At 3:33 AM , Blogger Jennifer Skelton said...

This site professional paraphrasing is providing the new ideas for education through mother is great plan.

 
At 2:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for share, It's useful.
Xe tải chuyển nhà giá rẻ
Dịch vụ xe tải chuyển nhà hà nội
Thuê xe tải chuyển nhà tại hà nội

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter by Digits Who links to my website?