Dr. Mom, My Adventures as a Mommy-Scientist

Discussion of my journey from grad school to postdoc to tenure with two kids, a husband, (and a bit of breast cancer) in tow.

Monday, August 30, 2010

Fire in the Hole!

I submitted my tenure package on Friday.

The funny thing is, I don't feel any different. It was kind of like one more thing on my to-do list that got checked off. I thought I would feel some fear or trepidation, but since I've already talked with most of my department members about this, I think I know how things will go. I also thought I might feel relief, but I don't. I guess tenure has never been that important to me in the scheme of things. My personal goals for my group are substantial enough that I would definitely get tenure if I achieved them, and we are well on our way to achieving my short list.

This kind of reminds me of "teaching to the test" in school vs. learning for the love it. I don't think about what kind of science to do, or how to present it, or the activities I will participate in based on whether or not I will get tenure. Instead I try to work on projects that are the most interesting to me, that fill a need in the field. And I try to do service activities that support my personal goals: leadership in a professional organization and bringing science to kids.By doing these things, I find that I make myself and my organization happy.

Well wish me luck. I probably won't find out until a month or so....and then not final for several more...

8 Comments:

At 5:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck! Let us know when to show up for the party. :)

 
At 11:40 PM , Blogger EcoGeoFemme said...

Good luck!

I love hearing your outlook on your work and job.

 
At 8:26 AM , Blogger biochem belle said...

Good luck!!!

 
At 12:52 PM , Blogger Schlupp said...

Yes, good luck!

 
At 2:13 PM , Blogger Balancing Act said...

Congratulations for getting your tenure portfolio together and being able to check it off the list!

 
At 8:44 PM , Blogger Mom, Ph.D. said...

Best of luck! Be sure to pop some champagne (or something like that) when you get the good news. It can take so long in coming, some people forget to celebrate it!

 
At 4:13 PM , Anonymous BugDoc said...

Sounds like a no-brainer for the promotions committee. I'd vote for you!

 
At 10:31 PM , Blogger Sophie Grace said...

It is really great post and i really enjoy when i am reading this article. Thank you for sharing this great post with us. It is really happy to see this. Read more wonderful blogs on Twitter, please go to Twitter search

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter by Digits Who links to my website?