Dr. Mom, My Adventures as a Mommy-Scientist

Discussion of my journey from grad school to postdoc to tenure with two kids, a husband, (and a bit of breast cancer) in tow.

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Twas the day after winter break...

Twas the day after winter break and all through the lab
Not a creature was stirring not even a MAb
The books were all stacked there filled with notation
but completely untouched over the long winter vacation

Perhaps the lab members were nestled all safe in their chairs
in the lab working hard, or perhaps downstairs
Sick of the omicron, the tau, the eta, the theta
everyone working hard collecting mounds of data

and then from the hallway there arose such a clatter
I ran to the lab to see what was the matter
I opened the doors to the lab with such haste
only to find the janitor and waste

I said to myself on to microscopes, to room XX1
surely students are coaxing experiments to run
but no students were found in either setting
and no students were present in the building I'm betting

The break was great fun and I know I slept late
but for G-ds sakes its 10! time to get to the microplate
I returned to my office full of faith and hope
that students might bring data from the microscope

Where are my students, my data, my charts?
oh to see each of you making fresh starts

As I returned to my office dejected and sad,
hoping that it only looked this bad,
I thought to myself and I felt very drab
winter break is over get your a** in the lab

6 Comments:

At 7:33 PM , Blogger PUI prof said...

fabulous!!!

 
At 8:16 PM , Anonymous N said...

Wow. I am not sure I would have wanted to work for you as a grad student. Relax, take a deep breath. It's the day after break - things will pick up! And it's only 10... don't turn the lab into a place where people feel they have to punch in their time sheet.

 
At 3:17 PM , Anonymous Tricia Kenny said...

Great poem!

My last lab never shut down because we were dealing with cell culture and other living things.

 
At 4:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with N....

relax. presumably you judge your students by their productivity - not what time they come into the lab first day after the break.

 
At 5:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article you got here. It would be great to read more concerning that topic. Thanx for sharing that material.
Joan Stepsen
Tech and gadgets

 
At 5:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I make a living on Ebay along with millions of others. You ever wonder where Ebay sellers get their products?

Here is the largest supplier database for anyone starting out.

Salehoo Wholesale Sources/Dropshipping

http://tinyurl.com/ye86oub

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter by Digits Who links to my website?