Dr. Mom, My Adventures as a Mommy-Scientist

Discussion of my journey from grad school to postdoc to tenure with two kids, a husband, (and a bit of breast cancer) in tow.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Teaching redux

So, I am faced with a new situation. We have had an increase in our enrollment, which is a nice problem to have, but it has required that we now offer more than one section of the same class in the same term. We have sufficient faculty that these additional sections are taught by different instructors. I teach the 2nd term of a two-term class, which will now have two sections. I was talking with the instructors of the current term class and they indicated that they were trying to make the two sections as similar as possible. They used the same lecture materials, handouts, homeworks, exams, and even pooled their TAs. This works well for them because they are friends and have similar teaching styles. I will be working with a new-to-us faculty member, and so am uncertain about his/her teaching style. I am also trying a lot of new things (podcasting, YouTube videos) that the other instructor may not want to emulate (and until I'm sure things work, I wouldn't blame him/her). So, I was curious, when you have been faced with two sections of the same class, do you try to synchronize the classes or does each instructor go their own way?

1 Comments:

At 9:04 PM , Blogger Jane said...

We don't synchronize our sections---each instructor can do whatever s/he wants. We do, however, have a list of topics that must be covered, stuff that the person teaching the next class in the sequence can safely assume has been covered in the previous course. It works extremely well for us.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter by Digits Who links to my website?