Dr. Mom, My Adventures as a Mommy-Scientist

Discussion of my journey from grad school to postdoc to tenure with two kids, a husband, (and a bit of breast cancer) in tow.

Friday, July 17, 2009

Longtime, No See

You may have noticed that my blogging has become less frequent. I am not giving it up, but I have been dedicating much of my time to getting work in order and have been pretty busy. I have been spending lots of time meeting with my students and mentoring them. I guess in some sense this is optional. I mean you don't have to mentor students, but if you don't work proceeds much more slowly and students will be unhappy.

A few posts ago I told you about the student who was thinking leaving my group. Well, he decided to stay and things seem to be back on track now. I am meeting with him weekly to try to keep him focused and it is really helping. Of course that also means that I am meeting with him weekly. Seeing how well this worked I have started regular meetings with all my students, although not all are weekly and it seems to have a big position effect.

The downside is that it takes up a lot of my time (which is why I didn't do it in the first place). There is no way I can sustain this when classes start back, but hopefully everyone will be in a good place by then and we can meet much less frequently. I have to admit getting two grants funded (thank you stimulus package!) has really taken a lot of the pressure off.

Well, I have to go write a book chapter (due end of month), two letters of recommendation, and review an article.

1 Comments:

At 9:34 AM , Blogger Balancing Act said...

I agree that meeting regularly with your students is really helpful, being on the receiving end of that at this time.

Good job on getting two grants funded.

I just started reading your blog, and look forward to more posts.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter by Digits Who links to my website?