Dr. Mom, My Adventures as a Mommy-Scientist

Discussion of my journey from grad school to postdoc to tenure with two kids, a husband, (and a bit of breast cancer) in tow.

Friday, February 20, 2009

An afternoon at Panera

So taking some of the advice from response to my last post, I spent the afternoon @ Panera today. It was absolutely glorious (and not just because of the chocolate chip cookie!). I am serving on a review panel soon and had a giant pile of proposals that were supposed to be reviewed by today. So I spent most of the afternoon going through these in the calm and silence of Panera with no interruptions! I admit reading proposals can be a bit tiresome, so I listened to a bit of Pride and Prejudice books on tape between each one (Ah! Mr. Darcy.) All in all a great afternoon. That said, I am still woefully behind in all my work.

I have three papers stacked up in my inbox. My postdoc just told me that all his experiments are working beyond our wildest dreams and we are thinking of submitting to nature. That would be a fourth paper. The stimulus package just passed and everyone is telling me to submit grants. And I have no time. My class takes up at least 1/2 of my week and stupid meetings seem to consume the rest. I have no idea how to get my head above the water, but am grateful for the travel because at least I won't have to look after kids (or husband for that matter) and can work like a fiend in the evening. Well, here's hoping to good travels.

1 Comments:

At 3:18 PM , Blogger Janus Professor said...

I'm going to Panera, too!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter by Digits Who links to my website?