Dr. Mom, My Adventures as a Mommy-Scientist

Discussion of my journey from grad school to postdoc to tenure with two kids, a husband, (and a bit of breast cancer) in tow.

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Girls don't suck @ Math

One of the things that you will learn about me over time is that I am a little neurotic. I cannot throw out a magazine or newspaper without reading it. I read prolifically, which helps, but am chronically behind, which is why I only just now made it to this article from the July 25 issue of Science.

The gist of the article is...you know how we said that girls weren't as good at math, perhaps something to do with their thought process, maybe their brains are wired differently....yeah we were all wrong about that, sorry.

The study was a meta-analysis, which means it combines lots of data from other studies to yield a giant sample pool, and found no statistically significant difference between girl and boy performances on math tests in grades 2-11 (the grades targeted in the study).

So it seems that the underperformance of girls in math measured in the 70's and 80's might have something to do with the fact that women weren't studying it in large numbers during that time and have nothing at all to do with ability. How would have thought?

1 Comments:

At 4:22 PM , Blogger ScientistMother said...

I could've told you that since I don't suck at math

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter by Digits Who links to my website?