Dr. Mom, My Adventures as a Mommy-Scientist

Discussion of my journey from grad school to postdoc to tenure with two kids, a husband, (and a bit of breast cancer) in tow.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Time mangagement is killing me

So you may remember a post I put up a month or so ago about how I was going to get back in there and write some grants. Well, that didn't really happen. Despite that fact that the class that I am teaching this qtr takes up much less time, I have been mired in other details (reviewing papers, reviewing grants, writing papers, committees, outreach work, etc.). On the other hand, I have been spending some of that time trying to get a handle on what it is that my group is really about. I think I have figured that out and am working on my first proposal back into the fray. This particular one is expected to have a 2.8% success rate, so I wouldn't exactly say that I am optimistic, but it is very short and I have already written most of it so why not? The problem is that it is so difficult to get grants written amongst my other commitments. I currently have 4 requests to review papers sitting in my inbox, one of which is from prestigious journal I have never reviewed for before and one of which is from journal I do a lot of work for that I would like to appoint me to editorial board...sigh. At least I am going on vacation in a few weeks...

2 Comments:

At 11:17 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

«For Women in Science» program to support doctorates specialized in the field of Life Sciences.

We are Bluesponge, a Montreal based creative interactive agency in charge of promoting L’Oréal-UNESCO’s «For Women in Science» program in Canada

With the aim to support women academics and scientific researchers, L’Oréal and UNESCO join forces and to offer both national and international fellowships

«The World needs Science. Science needs Women.»

With the influence of bloggers and the audiences that you reach, you could contribute to give to the program « For Women in Science» the recognition and the notoriety that it deserves.

We would like to offer the program’s financing to the largest possible number of female researchers. We would like to increase his notoriety in Canada and the number of subscriptions. The deadline is June 15th 2008.

These Fellowships of $20 000 and $40 000 allow scientists to develop and pursue a research project in the field of Life Sciences.

Please find enclosed few links that we encourage you to share with your community in order to shed light on the program:

Promotional poster
http://www.en.loreal.ca/_en/_ca/fwis/pdf/promoposter.pdf

Vidéo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=X9AZo4o-3Vc

Excellence fellowships
https://juno.aucc.ca/wes/hes.aspx?pg=934&oth=0005342008&lg=1

International fellowships
https://juno.aucc.ca/wes/hes.aspx?pg=934&oth=0005352008&lg=1

The fellowships give the opportunity to numerous female researchers to obtain the necessary support for the accomplishment of a common goal: the advancement of the science!

For further information regarding the program, please visit www.loreal.ca/fwis/en
Best regards

Julie Marchesseault
fwis@bluesponge.com
Account director
Bluesponge

 
At 6:33 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi
I'm from Southern College of Optometry. Management is my major and it's truly bewildering, when it comes to tasks and assignments. Withing a short period of time, I grew to like them all, but before, there was a vast and obscure time for a paper writer to start as a freelancer.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter by Digits Who links to my website?