Dr. Mom, My Adventures as a Mommy-Scientist

Discussion of my journey from grad school to postdoc to tenure with two kids, a husband, (and a bit of breast cancer) in tow.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

There is only one of me

Well, things this quarter are crazy again, probably because I am teaching. I can say that it is in improvement over last year, when I was teaching this course for the first time, but it is still crazy. I calculated out that I spend about 1/4 of my time teaching, either preparing for class, meeting with students, or actually delivering lectures. Which leaves the rest of my week for all the otehr stuff I agreed to but probably shouldn't have.

Recently coming up or completed:
  • Reviewed 2 articles
  • Am writing part of a review article (way behind on this one)
  • Written 2 pages for a big multi-investigator grant
  • Reviews for a panel I am sitting on in two weeks
  • Meetings for renewal of giant center grant I am part of
  • Organized a women's group in my discipline
  • Preparing a paper (on work that is almost two years old, gah!)
  • Assist postdoc preparing different paper
  • Overseeing 7 undergrads, and many of them are getting results, and getting close to papers
Not to mention that I am:
  • co-troop leader for a daisy scouts troop
  • on the fundraising committe at my daughter's school planning a massive event
  • trying desperately to get my eyes examined (hard to drive, blurry)
  • attending weekly counseling sessions for "behavioral modification" for my son who seems to have trouble not hitting, spitting, biting, etc.
And on top of all that my husband is in night class three nights a week and is unavailable about 1/4 of the weekend.

How am I getting through this? Well, I spend at least an hour every night reading trashy romance novels (this really helps). I do yoga every other day, and I am trying to take every day one day at a time, focusing only on the things that are critically due that day and in the next few.
Eventually, the dust will settle (I think).

2 Comments:

At 10:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we are actually the same person!!! I have been doing all those things with a few variations, and my head is exploding. After an entire week of this insanity, all I can do is read blogs despite the fact that my to-do list is a mile long. My brain is mush.

 
At 2:01 AM , Blogger ashtonmullens said...

I've been also writing for a multi-investigator grant in South Tyneside College (UK). With all the assignments and help college essay stuff, I've written more than 60 articles and papers on various subjects: from Journalism to Economics. Besides, I practiced speedy writing and editing online.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter by Digits Who links to my website?