Dr. Mom, My Adventures as a Mommy-Scientist

Discussion of my journey from grad school to postdoc to tenure with two kids, a husband, (and a bit of breast cancer) in tow.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Not Funded

Well I got my CAREER proposal back (one of the most important I will probably ever write) and it was rejected...I mean declined as they like to say.

My scores were good (or very good to be exact) but not sufficient in this abysmal funding climate to get the $$ that I need.

I wasn't actually too upset, this was only my first attempt and I am competing against people who are everywhere from new to almost tenured. Also, it seems to be rare to get it on the first attempt. Instead, I am happy with the good show and looking to turn it into an unsolicited proposal for the March deadlines.

But I have to say the current funding climate makes me extremely nervous. Most of the proposals that I write come back as somewhere between very good and excellent, yet only 1 has been funded (all excellents). I probably need to find some other agencies to apply to with more money (are there any?) I just hope we can hit before we run out of money.

6 Comments:

At 5:40 PM , Blogger Janus Professor said...

I am so sorry to hear that. But at least you have 2 more tries! It seems that most everyone doesn't get it the first try. Maybe send the old CAREER off to a military young investigator thing after some revision?

 
At 9:52 AM , Blogger Super Babe said...

I'm sorry to hear that. I myself got two proposals rejected last year (not with them, but still) :(

 
At 1:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Mom,
Welcome to the club of "career" rejects!
In my experience, it takes only one piece of good news (e.g. paper accepted, grant funded) to wash away the bad.
Keep on plugging, and good luck.

 
At 5:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your site because someone used it to get to my site, Womenbio.net, or as I call it, the Women in Biology internet launch pages, which provides career and chilly climate advice for all stages.

Hang in there on the applications. I have been on the faculty for 15 years now and I have drawers filled with rejected applications. You just have to keep throwing them over the wall and eventually some of them will stick, often the least expected.

I don't know what field you are in (i'm inferring engg or physical science) but a great help to me and my colleagues has been networking, both informally, and more structurally. my university has an active women in science program. It has lots of important and u$eful programs, but often the best part of it is just the monthly lunch between all STEM women faculty, bringing up whatever ails, excites, or infuriates us!

Regards, susan
Professor, Molecular Biology, USC

 
At 11:47 PM , Blogger ScienceMama said...

Sorry about the bad news, but I'm glad to see you're taking it in stride!

But if on your first try it was ranked very good to excellent, at least you have some hope for the next round.

Good luck!

 
At 9:32 PM , Blogger Becca said...

Well, I don't know much (I'm only a grad student) but it seems to me like a lot of the successful scientists I know seem to be saying "oh everything gets rejected the first time nowadays!". So I guess I can just say good luck with future proposals!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter by Digits Who links to my website?