Dr. Mom, My Adventures as a Mommy-Scientist

Discussion of my journey from grad school to postdoc to tenure with two kids, a husband, (and a bit of breast cancer) in tow.

Friday, January 04, 2008

Year in Review

It always seems weird to me that the academic "new year" and calendar new year are so differently aligned. But, this is as good a time as any to think about what's happened and where I am going.

My greatest achievement last year was getting a grant funded, and I sure hope that next year brings more of the same. I also published a few papers, but all from my postdoc. I hope that next year I will have at least one from my lab alone.

Teaching was a lot more work than I expected and my reviews were a lot lower than I expected, but not terrible. This year I hope to get better reviews by standardizing my grading and decreasing the length of my exams. I also hope to spend less time preparing, which now that I have taught this class once, I think will be true.

I had some great opportunities to get involved in service last year both inside and outside the university especially to women. This year I hope to continue that work, but carefully balanced against my other obligations.

Personally, it would be great if I could work out a few days a week, have a little time for knitting and reading, and make some more time for my family in general.

Overall though, I can say that I am really happy. I have a great department, live in a great place, and have a supportive family.

1 Comments:

At 10:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do sound like you're in a great place, and very content with where you are. May this year bring good times as well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter by Digits Who links to my website?