Dr. Mom, My Adventures as a Mommy-Scientist

Discussion of my journey from grad school to postdoc to tenure with two kids, a husband, (and a bit of breast cancer) in tow.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

First Grant Funded!

I just found out that I got a grant funded! It is only for one year, but the money is good, and as my colleagues like to say, helps me establish a track record of success. I am so excited that I celebrated by writing a bigger grant asking for even more money. Well that and having a really great lunch with my DH. I am really pumped. My students are also very excited because I will be able to pay them. Not there was a doubt for next year, but as the start-up funds dry out I will have to be more conservative and this gives me some room.

On another note, I will be away next week. I am giving a talk overseas. I only mention this because I stupidly sent my passport to be renewed a week or so before being invited to give this talk. And wouldn't you know it I didn't expedite my passport because who would ask me to go anywhere in the next two months anyway? Well, I got my passport back yesterday but you wouldn't believe what I had to go through for it. I tried calling the passport agency to expedite and they said I had to wait until two weeks before my trip. Then I tried to call and could not get a live human on the phone. I wasn't even allowed to hold for one. Finally, I got frustrated and called my congressperson, who godblessem got me my passport. Ridiculous the bureacracy though. So next week I will be sipping wine with a fabulous view while trying to dream up new grant proposal ideas and find new collaborators.

9 Comments:

At 9:15 PM , Blogger Jane said...

Congratulations!

 
At 9:33 PM , Blogger skookumchick said...

Brilliant! Congratulations! (Re the money, not the passport, although it's good that came back in time too ;-) )

 
At 11:28 PM , Blogger ScienceWoman said...

Congratulations!

 
At 10:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations1 May this be the first in a series of bright successes!

 
At 3:57 PM , Blogger jo(e) said...

Congrats on the grant!

 
At 4:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! And have fun abroad!

 
At 8:42 AM , Blogger Super Babe said...

Congrats on the grant... and the talk! :) I hope I can follow your hard work and get me a grant later this year!

 
At 3:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tenurestressed is officially tenured (happened a few months ago but never even had time to put in an update). It can be done (with two young children)! Congrats on the grant!

 
At 9:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS to you! Enjoy the trip!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter by Digits Who links to my website?