Dr. Mom, My Adventures as a Mommy-Scientist

Discussion of my journey from grad school to postdoc to tenure with two kids, a husband, (and a bit of breast cancer) in tow.

Friday, April 13, 2007

Not getting funded

The title of this post pretty much sums up my life right now. I submitted a bevy of proposals in the Fall, which are all starting to back now. For the most part the reviews have been excellent, but I seem to just miss the funding line on each one. The good news is that I can add more data, address reviewer comments, and probably stand a good chance the second time around. The bad news is I have to wait another year before I will hear again.

I didn't really expect to get funding my first year. It is somewhat unusual. But I had harbored some small hope. It would certainly make my tenure case more secure. Also, I have the spend money to make money policy, so I am counting on hitting a grant somewhere in my first three years. If we don't well it will be like the titanic, we will go out in style. So here's to next year, and if the seas get tough, women and children first.

3 Comments:

At 9:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you call the program officer of each grant program to which you applied and ask for a debrief? If you haven't yet, even if you have received reviewer comments in writing, please do so ... they often have inside information that they'd like to tell you, or that would be helpful for you to know, if only you ask ....

Sorry to hear about the bad news.

 
At 2:16 PM , Blogger PonderingFool said...

Sorry you did not get it. Sounds like you have a great plan though and are well on your way to getting one next year.

 
At 4:08 PM , Anonymous custom writing essay said...

I think government-funded research can either be carried out by the government itself, or through grants to academic and other researchers outside the government.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter by Digits Who links to my website?