Dr. Mom, My Adventures as a Mommy-Scientist

Discussion of my journey from grad school to postdoc to tenure with two kids, a husband, (and a bit of breast cancer) in tow.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Things are as crazy as they said it would be!

Well, you might have noticed I've been having trouble posting lately. I have to confess this is because I have been swamped, but in such a good way. So, rather than going all out for well thought out meaningful posts that ramble on for pages, I am going to try to give you brief updates each day. I have spent most of my time trying to finish papers for my postdoc and order lab equipment. You would be surprised how hard it is to start a new lab. I want to get all the equipment that I need but I also have to balance against cost. Starting a lab is so different because I have to order everything: weigh boats, weigh paper, spatulas, and the scale. I am so afraid that I will forget something, and I probably will! It will most likely take months for us to do our first real experiment. And when I say us, I mostly mean me. I have a postdoc starting in September, but probably won't have grad students until after Thanksgiving, and the probably won't be working in the lab until next summer! It's a lot to think about.

1 Comments:

At 12:21 AM , Blogger ScienceWoman said...

Good luck with everything. Once the lab is up and running you can tell us your lessons learned.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter by Digits Who links to my website?