Dr. Mom, My Adventures as a Mommy-Scientist

Discussion of my journey from grad school to postdoc to tenure with two kids, a husband, (and a bit of breast cancer) in tow.

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Totally swamped and trying to come up for air

Well this is the time of year that always does it to me. I will continue the writing your first paper series soon, but right now I am trying to stay afloat in a raging torrent of work and home responsibilities. I just got back from a conference, for which I was gone 9 days, and am trying to catch up. I have another conference in about three weeks, not to mention a book chapter due last week that I am rushing to finish, and a new paper to write.

It is the times like these that really make me crazy. Because I was gone for over a week, I have laundry, bills, straightening, and clingy children. I desperately wish that I could drop everything and spend a couple of days with them, but unfortunately when I got home I was so out of clean underwear that it wasn't even funny. At work, we are reaching a critical stage. Fortunately, everything is working beautifully, but that opens up new possibilities, the need to publish what we have, and pressure to keep up the great work!

A few years ago I might have been over a bridge by now, but fortunately, I have learned to manage. I am taking things slowly, making lists of everything I need to do, organizing my priorities, and not apologizing. I still go home at 5, even though every bone in my body says to stay all night, because I know that I couldn't possibly finish everything in a single night. If I worked all the time, I would be a less effective employee, parent, and wife. I can do everything, but only in moderation, and everyone will just have to settle for pieces of me. And in the midst of all this chaos, I am even taking time for myself. Last night, while my husband was at night school, I watched Sherlock Holmes while knitting a sweater. I have balance, precarious as it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter by Digits Who links to my website?