Dr. Mom, My Adventures as a Mommy-Scientist

Discussion of my journey from grad school to postdoc to tenure with two kids, a husband, (and a bit of breast cancer) in tow.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Shopping at last!

This week we have been on a family vacation, something that I haven't had a chance to do in almost two years. It has been really fabulous. The hotel that we are staying at has a kid's club, so we have been able to have a few adults only days. And yesterday, my husband finally took me shopping. It was really fabulous. We were gone almost the whole day, but I got plenty of great outfits for being a professor. So I guess the solution to going shopping is to get a sitter.

On another note, every evening I tuck my daughter into bed with some one-on-one time. We usually discuss what each of us did that day and then end by saying the best and worst things about each day. This whole week that I have been on vacation I haven't really been able to think of a worst thing. Which is really amazing. Of course there are some days at home that I feel the same way, but it is unusual to have a string of so many happy days.

Also, I like vacations because it gives me a chance to put my life into perspective. We are staying at a resort, so we interact with the other guests a fair amount. It almost always comes up that people ask what you do. When I explain my job I am really proud. I finally feel like I have accomplished a lot, and that I am in a good place to make significant contributions in the future. I am beginning to be comfortable in my own skin.

And finally, vacation has given me a chance to catch-up on my reading, including one book by Ken Bain, called What the best college teachers do. It is really good, and has given me lots of ideas for next year. Of course I don't expect to be a superstar right out of the box, but a little enthusiasm never hurt. See Jane Compute is also running a nice series on teaching hints, so check that out as well.

So next week I will have to return back to the grind and try to hammer my paper out and get it out the door, but for at least this week, I can relax a little more and just enjoy being.

2 Comments:

At 3:20 PM , Blogger Jane said...

I've read Ken Bain's book and I agree--it's really good, and it really makes you think about your own pedagogical goals more deeply. Glad to hear you're having a good vacation!

 
At 11:04 AM , Blogger Debbie Cakes said...

I'm just inspired by the fact that went on vacation. The last vacation my husband and I went on was our honeymoon- almost 6 years ago. I can barely remember what room service is.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter by Digits Who links to my website?